Last Sunday, Grace Beyond Building Committee Chair, Denny Bergakker, shared key dates on the construction timeline for the next few months. The biggest date on the timeline is our return to the Sanctuary, scheduled for Sunday, December 18. Please be in prayer that construction would stay on schedule and that we would be able to worship together, back at Calvary, on that Sunday.
Other Upcoming Construction Dates:
- SEPTEMBER 30 – Completion of Drywall on Sanctuary Back Wall
- OCTOBER 5 – Completion of Temporary Wall Between Main Corridor and Community Space
- OCTOBER 12 – Application of New Epoxy Floor Cover Pour Concrete in Tiered Seating Area (Sanctuary)
- OCTOBER 24 – Installation of Carpet on Main Floor of Sanctuary
- NOVEMBER 22 – Completion of Painting in Sanctuary
- NOVEMBER 29 – Installation of Sanctuary Seating
- JULY 2017 – Completion of Calvary Kids & Community Space
- NOVEMBER 2017 – Completion of Adult Education Area and Offices in West Pods
Denny also shared renderings of the Sanctuary entrance, Sanctuary platform and the Information Desk (see below). These are paired with construction pictures to give you a view of what things look like currently and how they will look in a few months.
In closing, Denny announced that there will be a construction open house on October 30, 2:00-6:00pm. There will be construction tours, project renderings, and a time for Q&A with the Building Committee. All are invited. More details to come in mid-October.
Steering Committee Chair, Dan Challa, also gave an update at the Annual Meeting. Dan shared many things that we are thankful to God for including:
- Calvin College – this beautiful facility to hold Sunday morning services and the gracious and helpful Calvin staff that have made this experience so positive
- Incredible volunteers that wear the bright sunshine yellow every week
- Staff that has worked extra hard with all the changes and limitations of working and ministering in a renovation zone
- The various Grace Beyond committees who have been diligently working behind the scenes
- All the hard work that is being done by our contractor, the architect and the subcontractors, to get us back into our sanctuary by December
- Great weather that has allowed us to stay on schedule
- Safety for construction workers and congregants while at Calvary
Dan also expressed gratitude for God providing financially as we recently passed the $10 million mark for money given toward Grace Beyond.
However, finances continue to be an area where we have to trust the Lord to provide. Our current pledge total is $17.7 million toward the estimated $27.7 million total. Based on our construction costs to date, the Steering Committee has determined that we will begin to draw on our construction loan beginning in October or November. We have structured the construction loan so that we will only take out the amount we need on a month-by-month basis. This loan will allow us to pay the bills to keep the project on track while people fulfill their pledges.
Dan remarked that it is pretty easy to do the math and see that there remains approximately a $10 million difference between the pledge and project totals. We continue to ask the Lord to provide the remaining funds necessary to pay for Grace Beyond. We encourage people to continue to fulfill their pledges and prayerfully consider if they can do more for this project. As Dan shared, we also continue to invite those who are new to Calvary to consider pledging toward Grace Beyond as they make Calvary their church home. And, this Christmas we are going to ask everyone to consider a one-time gift toward the project.
Dan concluded his update by thanking everyone for their continued prayers and giving toward Grace Beyond.
If you have any remaining questions about Grace Beyond, please email email@example.com and a member of the Steering Committee will gladly correspond with you.